Organic brown bread
2 tsp salt
7g organic yeast
3 tbsp organic olive oil
400g organic wholemeal bread flour
100g organic white bread flour
Image courtesy of Jim Champion
- Mix together the organic wholemeal flour, salt and organic yeast in a large bowl.
- In the centre of the mix create a crater and pour the organic olive oil and water to it. Then, mix it all together again until it becomes a dough.
- Lightly cover a work surface with flour.
- Then knead the bread thoroughly, on the floured work surface, until the dough is smooth.
- Next, lightly oil a large bowl with organic olive oil. Then put the dough into that bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and leave the dough to rise for 60 mins.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Then knock back (punch out the air) the dough and then shape the bread into a ball or you can shape it into 4 bap shapes. Now put the dough onto the baking tray and leave it for 60 mins to rise.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C (gas mark 7) or 200C for a fan oven.
- Lightly cover the dough with organic flour.
- Finally, bake the dough for 25-30 mins. After, the bread or baps should be golden brown in colour. Allow the bread to cool before serving. If you would like, you can cover the top of the bread with 4 tbsp organic sunflower and pumpkin seeds.